Tuesday, September 21, 2010

pro-gress (n. prog'res) 1. A forward or onward movement.

Webster is obsolete. It must be the end of the world.

I have been thinking a lot about 2010 Progress. We're almost in the 4th quarter of the year, fall officially starts tomorrow, and it's getting cooler outside. Alas, 2010 is nearing the end.

When I think of where I started in January and what my mindset was, I really think that my quest for progress has turned into regression. In these past months I have found that I have been journeying backward more than forward. My personal progress has been a quest of how to live simpler. I want to break away from the ebb and flow of every day life as we know it here in America and carve out an existence in God's country like the pioneers did.

Geoffrey asked me once if I could live in any era of time, when would it be? I want to be Laura Ingalls Wilder. No, I want to be her ma. Those were the days when your talents and hobbies were all centered around survival. When picking out fabric for a new dress was exciting! and harvest was a community affair. That's when people played instruments, sang, and told stories for entertainment.

I guess what I'm striving for is fulfillment at my work. I want to work for the betterment of my family, not for a paycheck. The Occasional Housewife is work that I enjoy doing, especially because it helps other people, but honestly, it's a side business. It keeps the money trickling in.

Some things that I've gone back to this year, particularly this summer, are making bread, sewing clothes, raising chickens, gardening, canning, even hanging clothes out on the line to dry. With
the cool nights, I'm longing to start quilting, knitting and crocheting again. There is great satisfaction in having a hand in the making and running of a household. And there is even more satisfaction in knowing that your family appreciates it!

A few nights ago we all sat down to homemade sourdough bread spread with homemade grape jelly. I picked, squeezed, cooked, and canned that jelly myself. I fed the sourdough starter and kneaded the dough for the bread myself. Maybe it's just me. Probably it is. But I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment