Sunday, February 14, 2010

Growing Your Box

I've been reading a fantastic book lately, You, Inc. The Art of Selling Yourself. There have been many things that have struck me as so true, others I realized I knew, but hadn't vocalized and yet others are completely new thoughts to me. One of those new introductions directly relates with what Mandy and I are working towards, breaking out of the box. Interestingly Harry and Christine Beckwith say this doesn't work.
Your box - your way of thinking, working, and living - has worked for you. It's the box in which your were born, a product of your DNA with which you were encoded. You can change your box about as easily as you can alter the shape of your head... Don't try to think outside your box; it's too hard. Instead, grow it.

They suggest that instead of trying to work outside of the box that you were born with, bring new things into it; grow it. Do things that you never thought you would do and pull those experiences into your box. Perhaps that is closer to what Mandy and I are doing. Each of us has decided to rearrange our boxes and expand them to include the things we wish to accomplish. To think of it this way takes some of the fear out of trying to do something new because the boxes we live in are familiar, allowing that comfort to support and encourage growth.

I have a certain way of doing things, and that hasn't changed. It's just been reorganized and I see the results coming to life before my eyes. Think on this.

If nothing changes, nothing changes.
If something changes, something will change for you.

1 comment:

  1. I like that! We will always be who we are, we can't change genetics or background, but we don't have to accept that final product. We are just improving on the current version, and hope to release 2.0 to the world by the end of 2010!

    ReplyDelete