WARNING: This post gets a little preachy. I even quote scripture. But, hey, even if you don't subscribe to Christianity, the Bible is definitely full of pertinent philosophies.
"Thou shalt not covet." It is the last of the 10 Commandments given to Moses. It was probably given last so that it would make a lasting impression. I mean, after all, the Israelites wandered in the wilderness for 40 years after that with nothing but what they could carry looking for a Promised Land. But being human, as we all are, I find myself sometimes comparing my blessings with those of others.
Today I thought about it long and hard. Did I really want those things that these other people have?? Not really. So what was the real cause of that feeling of discontent? I realized that I was not discontent with my surroundings but with myself. There is nothing standing in the way of my progress but myself. I need to stop being the person that sits back and lets opportunities pass and complains that exciting things only happen to those around her! "Idleness breeds discontent." As long as I'm working toward the goals of those things that I really want to achieve, I am content.
Here! Here!
ReplyDelete