Then as I got a little older, I decided that I wanted to be a psychologist. The profession seemed to come to me naturally. From a young age, I was the friend that kept secrets, that could be confided in, and who gave sound advice. Emotional struggles always fascinated me. Finding the root of the conflict came easily to me as I could look at a problem in an unbiased light. Then I realized that the best way to help people was not to be shrink, but to just be a friend. So that's what I try to be.
Then I became a wife, and a mother. It's a full time job. And in the beginning it consumes every minute of everyday. But my kids are beyond the infant stage now, and can manage a lot on their own. So, I'm facing the question again. What do I want to be when I grow up?
Actually, I'm posing a new question. Who do I want to be when I grow up? I don't think that we should be labeled by our position in life. Our job description is not necessarily who we are. There are so many things that I want to do and places I want to see. I don't think I ever want to be tied down to a 9-5 job. Thankfully, I've avoided it thus far. It doesn't seem very appealing.
My birthday is coming up soon. I've been working on a list of 30 Things I want to do before I'm 30. That's 3 more years. While some of them do involve making money. None of them involve a 9-5 job. I'm outside the box now. And I'm staying there!
No comments:
Post a Comment