Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Don't Do Everything. Just Do Enough.

Miranda and I were chatting last night, well, I was venting. My plate has been exceedingly full this week and I was on the verge of becoming overwhelmed. In desperation I typed, "I don't know how I will do everything." Mandy quickly came back with "Don't do everything. Just do enough." My first thought was that it sounded like a cop-out. Do just enough to get by and nothing more? But, that's not it at all.

Life is so hectic. We get pulled in a hundred different directions all at once with work, school, kids, home, husband, laundry, cheering, groceries; "where's my socks?" and "what's for dinner?" Then throw in planning a special occasion and extended family visiting and the amount of time in the day seems to shrink. And, guess what? There is still only one of you.

Don't do everything.

It is like the lists that Mandy and I have come up with for the year. Some of them are rather monstrous goals. But we have broken them down into smaller bites. We can't do it all at once. It would become overwhelming and then there would be a good chance of just giving up.

So, just do enough.

Make mini goals, a list of things that will get you to the end you're shooting for; break it down. In my current situation, I can delegate. I have to remember there are other people who are available and willing to help. I can make a list of the phone calls I need to make, and make them, one at a time. I can do enough. I don't have to do everything.

1 comment:

  1. Perfection isn't always noticed, and definitely not always appreciated. When the difference between the best you can do and perfection is not glaringly obvious to the general public... then don't strive for perfection. It's a waste of energy.

    ReplyDelete